Sunday, February 13, 2011

Decision = MADE

I have always been a google/research nut so naturally, when Joey and I first decided to move to Hawaii, I immediately set to researching what would soon be our new home and found.... not much. What I did find was not quality information.

After moving here, I slowly began to realize through experience, working at a tourist attraction, and conversations with others, the only way to find information about Oahu is to:
1. Visit a travel agent and pay ridiculous up-charges (people have NO idea they are paying these upcharges! They just blindly buy when they can call the company directly and save TONS of $$!)

2. Buy a guide book that is, of course, limited on information.

3. Word-of-mouth, which is great but if you are on vacation, your time is limited to get conversations in with "locals" to find out about the secret sweet spots.

The result is that most people that visit our island never leave Waikiki and if they do, they don't go off the beaten path. They will get on a tour bus, stop at specific locations for a set amount of time and get back on the bus to head to the next stop. They have no idea about the secret treasures that this island has to offer. I am still learning and I have been here almost 2 years! Still now, when I want to try a new restaurant that is "quality" and not just a good name to attract a tourist, I still have nowhere to go find this information.



Well, after days and days of researching, number crunching and brainstorming I've made a decision. I am going to create a website about Oahu. There seems to be high demand, limited quality competition and great monetization potential. It will take a while to get it up and running, a little while longer to turn any kind of profit and even longer to finish it.... but I am ready to dive in, give all the information that I have and get to researching the rest. My goal is to have a site where anyone that wants to visit Oahu will have a place to go to find all the information that they need to be able to plan BEFORE getting here and falling into the "Tourist Trap" that this island can be for the unprepared.

Stay tuned for updates and a web address to visit soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment